On March 20, 2023, the Vishal Kisan Mahapanchayat organized under the leadership of Samyukt Kisan Morcha at Ramlila Maidan in New Delhi was successfully concluded.
More than 10,000 kisans from every corner of the country participated in this mahapanchayat. Workers of Mazdoor Ekta Committee participated in this mahapanchayat with great enthusiasm.
The mahapanchayat was addressed by more than 50 kisan leaders and representatives of labour organizations.
Addressing the mahapanchayat, the kisan leaders said that the United Kisan Morcha will continue its protest struggle to free the agricultural sector from the control of the capitalist class and against the anti-kisan policies of the central government.
The speakers condemned the handing over of the country’s natural resources to the capitalist class. They said that the present government is selling off agricultural land, water-forest and natural resources to benefit the capitalists.
Samyukt Kisan Morcha presented a further strategy to connect maximum number of kisans around the demands of kisans across the country. It announced its aim to organize conferences in the states and organize yatras across the country. It announced a massive nationwide struggle to end exploitation by corporate houses.
A delegation consisting of 15 members from the Samyukt Kisan Morcha met the Union Agriculture Minister at Krishi Bhawan and submitted its memorandum. The Agriculture Minister and the members of the Samyukt Kisan Morcha agreed that talks should continue between the two sides on the pending demands and burning issues of the kisans. The representatives of Samyukt Kisan Morcha told the minister that if the demands are not heard within the time limit, then more protests will be announced in the coming times.
The delegation told the Central Government through a memorandum that the Government should fulfil the promises made by the Central Government in the letter written to the Samyukt Kisan Morcha on December 9, 2021. On the basis of that letter from the government, the Samyukt Kisan Morcha had ended its sit-in demonstration from the borders of Delhi. On December 11, 2021, all ongoing protests in Delhi and the country were called off. Today, even after 15 months, the government has not fulfilled the promises made to the kisans.
The delegation included – Shri R.K. Venkaiah from All India Kisan Sabha, Dr. Sunilam from Kisan Sangharsh Samiti, Mr. Prem Singh Gehlawat from All India Kisan Mahasabha, Mr. V. Venkataramaiah from All India Kisan Mazdoor Sabha, Mr. Suresh Koth from Bharatiya Kisan Mazdoor Union, Mr. Yudhveer Singh from Bharatiya Kisan Union, Mr. Hanan Molla from All India Kisan Sabha, Mr. Buta Singh Burjgil from Bharatiya Kisan Union (Dakonda), Mr. Joginder Singh Ugrahan from Bhartiya Kisan Union (Ugrahan), Mr. Satyawan from All India Kisan Khet Mazdoor Sangathan, Mr. Avik Saha from Jai Kisan Andolan, Mr. Darshanpal from Krantikari Kisan Union, Mr. Manjit Rai from Bharatiya Kisan Union (Doaba), Mr. Harinder Lakhowal from Bhartiya Kisan Union (Lakhowal) and Mr. Satnam Singh Behru from Indian Kisans Association.
The demands raised in the memorandum are as follows:
- Law guaranteeing M.S.P. should be passed
- The existing committee formed by the government on the demands of the kisans should be dissolved. A new committee should be reconstituted for MSP only. The Samyukt Kisan Morcha should be included in this, as promised by the government.
- Loans of all kisans should be waived off immediately. The prices of fertilizers and other agricultural inputs should be reduced.
- The Electricity Amendment Bill, 2022 should be withdrawn.
- Union Home Minister of the State Ajay Mishra ‘Teni’, the main conspirator in the murder of kisans and a journalist in Lakhimpur Kheri district, should be dismissed and sent to jail.
- The government should fulfil its promise of giving compensation and rehabilitation to the families of the kisans who were martyred during the kisan andolan as well as the families of the kisans who were martyred and injured in Lakhimpur Kheri.
- The government should immediately replace the ineffective Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana. In its place, a universal, comprehensive and effective crop insurance scheme should be introduced, in which compensation package for all crops, and compensation for the continuous loss to kisans due to untimely drought, flood, hailstorm and assessment of loss due to crop related diseases, wild animals, stray cattle etc. to be awarded on the basis of individual plots/holdings.
- Kisan Pension Yojana of Rs 5,000 per month for kisans and agricultural laborers should be implemented immediately.
- The fake cases filed against the kisans during the kisan andolan should be withdrawn immediately.
- Allotment of land should be made for the construction of the memorial for the martyred kisans at the Singhu border.
- On June 25, 2022, the government brought the Forest Conservation Rules 2022. This rule allows the use of forest land for non-forestry purposes. This rule hinders the implementation of the Forest Rights Act 2006. Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands that this rule should be withdrawn immediately.
- Projects are going on in different states for the benefit of the capitalist class. The governments here are not ensuring the right of kisans to get fair compensation, under the Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013. Kisans are being bull-dozed to hand over their land by accepting a nominal compensation. They are threatened that bulldozers will be used against them. Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands that all these illegal activities should be stopped and legal process should be followed.
- Agricultural Cost and Price Commission should be constituted.
- Central agencies like CBI are conducting raids on the kisans of Punjab. This should be stopped immediately.