Bank employees all over the country went on strike on August 5, 2011 at the call of the United Forum of Bank Employees. Workers from Public Sector Banks, private Indian and foreign banks, rural banks and cooperative banks participated in the strike action.
The strike revealed the powerful unity of bank workers, with nearly a million workers going on strike. It brought banking services to a grinding halt all over the country. In Delhi, and in all the state capitals, as well as in district headquarters, bank workers organised dharnas, rallies etc in front of different banks. On this occasion, the bank workers roundly condemned the liberalisation privatisation program of the UPA government. The workers condemned the Banking reforms program of the governments and the recommendations of the Khandelwal Committee.
In these rallies and dharnas, the bank workers pointed out that the banking reform program announced by the government as anti- worker and-anti national. The Khandelwal Committee reccomendations are aimed at breaking the unity of bank employees, and to loot the public. The government wants to implement these reccomendations because they benefit the capitalists.
Mazdoor Ekta Lehar congratulates the Bank workers and their unions and federations on the successful All India strike of August 5, 2011.
Below we reprint some of the main demands of the Bank workers:
- No to privatisation of Public Sector Banks! No dilution of government capital in these banks!
- No to loans from the World Bank for increasing capitalisation of Public Sector Banks!
- No to further mergers!
- No to unregulated entry of foreign capital in the banking sector! No to scrapping of Section 12 of the Banking Regulaton Act! The limits on voting rights of foreign investors in Indian banks must not be raised!
- Industrial houses in India must not be given licenses to start their own banks!
- Regular Banking work must not be outsourced! The move to push for private trading representatives must be scrapped! The bilateral agreement between the management and bank workers on outsourcing must be strictly adhered to!
- Maintain and improve banking services for the clients by ensuring that the vacant posts are filled, and the working hours are not extended!
- The recommendations of the Khandelwal Committee must be rejected!