I am writing to thank you for carrying the exceptionally important, clear and incisive interview with Com. Lal Singh, General Secretary, CGPI entitled `The Elections are a Farce’ given on the eve of the Delhi Assembly elections 2015, and carried in the Jan. 16-31, 2015 issue of MEL. Why is this an exceptional interview? Probably because it shows the validity and application of the Marxist-Leninist approach to the reality that faces India. Having truth as the objective to be established, the interview goes about getting to the heart of the matter in a frank and fearless manner, and laying bare facts with no scope of mis-interpretation and clearing the air. Indeed, this is the task of all true communists at this time, to expose the criminal nature of the capitalist system prevailing in India, and the political machinery that it has at its disposal. Indeed, the double edged sword of ballot and bullet is the preferred method of the Indian ruling circles, and any opportunity to expose this is beneficial to the working class which is to be led by communists. By studying a concrete example at this time, such an advance can be made.
By declaring that elections are a farce, not much is achieved. Much is achieved by exposing why the elections are a farce, which has been admirably achieved by Com. Lal Singh. In bullet points, one may capture the essence of the interview as under
• That it is the bourgeois parties that have created the unbearable conditions of life, and have carried out crimes against the people,
• That there is a basic conflict between the exploiting minority and exploited majority, and it is not possible to provide for all in a class divided society
• That it is the very parties that have created the terrible conditions ask for a new chance to help out the people,
• That the bourgeoisie uses an arsenal of tools, through money power, disinformation, propaganda and the like to fix the outcome of the elections, viz., rigging of elections albeit not in the technical sense of the term, but in essence,
• That life experience has shown that the democratic veneer is a cover for executive power being concentrated in the hands of the bourgeoisie,
• That all state institutions are geared to defend the rule of the bourgeoisie,
• That illusion mongering continues in the face of elections,
• That there is a bogus debate on the BJP being the fountainhead of fascism, whereas life experience shows that it is the bourgeoisie that is the purveyor of fascism,
• That the history of independent India shows that the Indian Union is an unwilling one with the rights of the peoples and the nations that constitute it being crushed underfoot and all this receiving the sanction of the Constitution of India, which is the primary instrument of rule,
• That the only way out of this impasse is the path of revolution to truly empower the people of India and vest sovereignty in them,
• That a blueprint for revolution is very much on the anvil, which will require the people of India to take charge of the means of production,
• That it is the task of communists to clear the air as regards all the matters above.
Thus, I would like to reiterate that the interview is a timely and enlightening one and compulsory reading for all those who wish to see the liberation of India. Let the points in the interview seed debate in every corner of the country.
S. Nair, Kochi