Workers show their strength in IMT Manesar
The Joint Action Committee of Gurgaon, Bawal, Daruheda, and Rewari organised a rally in IMT Manesar on July 25, 2011 to mark the 6th anniversary of the attack on the Honda workers. More than 10,000 workers from various unions participated enthusiastically in this rally.
To recall, the state government of Haryana and its police, at the behest of the capitalists, launched a vicious lathi charge to quell the just struggle of the industrial workers of Honda on July 25, 2005. Countrywide, the working class which witnessed this attack, roundly condemned it. This event brought to recall the memory of Jallianwala Bagh. Following this, Gurgaon's workers and their unions decided to mark 25th July as Workers' Unity Day.
Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Employees Union, Maruti-Suzuki Employees Union, Omaxe Auto Mazdoor Union-Gurgaon and Daruheda, RICO Employees Union- Gurgaon and Daruheda, Microtek Employees Union, Bajaj Motors Employees Union, Carrier Employees Union, Hema Engineering Employees Union, Satyam Auto Components Employees Union, IFD Employees Union-Binola, Hilux Employees Union, Hitachi Employees Union, Suzuki Powertrain and Casting Employees Union, Q.H.Talbros Employees Union, DCM Bonotown Employees Union, S.K.N Employees Union-Daruheda, Maruti Udyog Kamgar Union, Delphi Employees Union, Asahi Glass Employees Union, Sona Steering Employees Union and S.T.I Employees Union participated in the rally.
Com Amarjit Kaur, Com. D. L. Sachdeva, Com. Suresh Gaur, Com Rajbir Chahal and Com Baldev Singh from AITUC, Com Bijju Nayak from Lok Raj Sangathan and Mazdoor Ekta Committee, Com. Satbir Singh from CITU, Com. Hari Pratap from AITUTC and other union activitists, Com. Harjeet Singh, Com. Rajkumar, Com. Kamal Kumar Sharma, Com. Vinod Tiwari and Com. Gobind Behara constituted the presidium of the rally.
The rally began with a revolutionary song by Com. Rajesh Kumar. Com.Anil convened the rally.
Speakers pointed out that Gurgaon was famous as an auto hub. Indian and foreign companies are making their fat profits on the basis of the skilled workers here. The capitalists here are routinely violating labour laws. Any worker who talks of labour laws is shown the door. Even today, there are numerous false cases against several workers who spearheaded the fight for unionization. Even today, unions are not being recognized and applications are rejected unless the management agrees ..Expelling workers who try to form a union, using court stay to continue exploitation of the workers, keeping workers for years as contract workers without regularizing them are some of the prevalent violations of labour laws.
A call was given at the conclusion of the Rally for all Gurgaon, Bawal, Daruheda and Rewadi industrial workers to unite and a commitment was given to take forward the struggle in support of the demands listed below.
The Rally concluded with revolutionary melodies!
- Action should be taken against those authorities who impede the registration of a union, and prompt registration to be implemented on receipt of application for unionization by workers
- The management of RICO Company and their accomplices must be charged under law and arrested for the murder of Ajit Singh Yadav, a worker at Rico.
- Labour laws must be strictly implemented and exploitation of workers under contract labour system must cease. A minimum wage of Rs.10000/- must be implemented by all companies
- Workers must be provided housing at affordable rates, ration cards and voting cards must be enabled so that they can access affordable rations; inflation must be controlled.
- All disputes with workers' unions must be resolved immediately.
- ESI, PF and similar social insurance must be provided. All temporary and contract workers must be made permanent so that their livelihood is secured.