Trade Unions have announced that they will organise mass protests on March 5, 2010 all over the country. Over 10 lakh workers are expected to participate in these protests.
The demands of the trade unions are
(1) Price rise of essential commodities must be contained.Universal Public Distribution System must be established. Measures to end speculation in commodities market must be immediately taken.
(2) Government must take measures to ensure employment protection in the recession stricken sectors.
(3) The Unorganised Workers Social Security Act 2008 must be expanded to remove the poverty line based restriction on eligibility of workers. There must be a National Floor Level Social Security to all unorganised sector workers including the contract/casual workers.
(4) Strict enforcement of all labour laws without any exception or exemption and stringent punitive measures for violation of labour laws.
(5) Disinvestment of shares of Central Public Sector Enterprises is not resorted to and instead their growing reserve and surplus is used for expansion and modernisation purposes and also for revival of sick Public Sector Undertakings.
It may be recalled that on December 16, 2009, dharnas had been organised on the above demands in front of parliament as well as in various state capitals and industrial centers.