At the call of the central executive of the All India Loco Running Staff Association (AILRSA), on November 20, 2017 an All Inida Demands Day was observed. At all the crew lobbies throughout the country, loco drivers observed dharnas, organised rallies and public meetings.
The struggle of the loco drivers for removal of anomalies in the Seventh Pay Commission and for addressing the various problems of the loco drivers has been going for a long time now. Among other things, the loco drivers are demanding that recruitment of staff should be done to fill the vacant posts, so that the existing drivers are not overburdened with additional hours of work. Officially, they are required to work for 104 hours a week, but in reality they are often forced to drive for 12-14 hours a day, continuously without any break.
Reports received by MEL indicate that thousands of loco drivers participated in the protest actions at all the crew lobbies. They forcefully raised their demands. AILRSA has announced that the struggle will be intensified if their demands are not met.
The main demands of the loco drivers are as follows:
- The rate of mileage should be fixed according to the formula of the 1980 Running Allowance Committee, as soon as possible.
- The order to give tool kit to the assistant loco pilot should be immediately revoked.
- The order to suspend the loco driver if the train goes past the red signal should be immediately revoked.
- Running staff should be allowed their weekly off, as per rules and as mandated by the Consitituion.
- Running staff should be paid overtime for having to work in excess of 104 hours a week.The order monitoring the return of the running staff to the headquarters within 36 hours should be implemented without delay.