On 6th July 2021, sanitation workers protested militantly for their demands at the Najafgarh Zonal Office of the Delhi Municipal Corporation. Earlier, the sanitation workers took out a rally on Najafgarh Phirni Marg. A large number of women sanitation workers took part in this.
Simultaneously, an indefinite demonstration has been started outside the Najafgarh zone headquarters which will be kept up till the demands are met.
This struggle was led by SDMC United Front of Najafgarh Zone. The General Secretary of the workers’ organization told Mazdoor Ekta Lehar that the batch from 1998 to 2000, which the Municipal Corporation has ordered to be permanently placed, has not been made permanent yet. One of the main demands is that they should be made permanent at the earliest.
Another major demand is that the permanent sanitation workers who have worked for 10, 20 and 30 years are not educated. Therefore, by giving them 10 days of class and training, their pay scale should be increased. Whatever is due should be given to them.
Some other demands of sanitation workers are as follows:
- The moratorium on the payment of arrears to permanent employees between 1996 and 1998 should be removed.
- Bonus of Rs 1184-3500 should be given to all daily wage sanitation workers.
- An assistance of Rs 10 lakh should be given to the dependents of the employees who died during the Corona period.
- Gloves, mask N-95 and sanitizer, raincoat and especially, a fully prepared broom should be given to all the employees.
- Every employee should be given free health check-up every six months.
- Uniform has not been received for the last three years, its cash payment should be made and this year’s uniform should be given immediately.
- Retired employees should be given their dividends immediately.